What City in Florida Has the Most Car Accidents?
February 15, 2021
A study by an automotive research website conducted a few years back found that many South Florida cities ranked among the most dangerous municipalities for car accidents across the nation. Continue reading to find out what city in Florida has the most car accidents.
Study Finds South Florida Cities Rank Nationally for Car Accidents
With accident rates and traffic crash fatalities increasing over the latter half of the last decade, a study, based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration car accident fatality data in 2015, found the top 75 “car accident capitals” of the U.S. Of the cities with the highest fatality rates per 100,000 residents, five South Florida cities made the top 20, including:
- Pompano Beach, ranked number 1
- Miami Gardens, at number 3
- Davie, at number 8
- Fort Lauderdale, at number 13
- Miami, at number 15
West Palm Beach was just outside the top 20 at number 21.
Two other Florida cities also made the top 20 list — Tampa at number 9, and Lakeland at number 10.
The cities making the top 75 skewed heavily towards larger southern states, while smaller New England states like Maine and Vermont had no representatives on the list. The study also noted that large cities like New York City and Chicago were not on the list, probably due to the fact that residents in these cities have other alternatives to driving such as public transportation, biking, or walking.
What to Do If You’re Involving in a Car Accident in South Florida
Unfortunately, South Florida ranks among one of the most dangerous places to drive in the country, based on auto accident fatality data. If you are involved in a car accident in South Florida, you should take steps to protect your rights, including:
- Get the contact and insurance information from every driver involved in the crash
- Request a copy of the accident report from the police department
- Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, traffic controls at the scene, and lighting/weather/road/traffic conditions at the time of the accident
- See a doctor to diagnose all the injuries you may have suffered in the crash
- Keep records of your out-of-pocket expenses relating to the accident. Also keep a journal of your recovery from any injuries you may have suffered in the crash
- Avoid giving a statement to the insurance company, and avoid discussing the accident or posting about your activities on social media
- Speak to a car accident attorney about whether you may have a claim to compensation for your injuries and damages
Your Rights after a South Florida Car Accident
If you’ve been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to seek financial compensation from the other driver or another at-fault party for your damages and losses, including for:
- Costs of medical treatment, physical rehabilitation, and long-term personal care
- Lost wages and income from missed work
- Lost earning capacity due to disability
- Physical pain and emotional distress
- Lost enjoyment or quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage, including repair or replacement costs for your vehicle
An experienced personal injury lawyer can review your case and help you understand what compensation you may have the right to seek from the other driver or from other liable parties.
Contact a Lake Worth Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in Florida
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in Florida? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. represent clients injured because of car accidents in West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, and throughout Florida. Call (561) 533-0345 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 813 Lucerne Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33460, as well as offices in Pompano Beach.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.