Rideshare apps such as Uber and Lyft have exploded in popularity in recent years. Riders get to enjoy lower fares than a yellow cab or town car and drivers get to make some extra money while driving their own cars. While these companies strive to make our lives easier, if you are involved in a car accident with an Uber driver, that can make everything far more complicated.
The Unforeseen Complications of Uber
With so many factors at play, what do you do if you’re involved in a car accident with an Uber driver?
- Call the Police. Make sure that the accident is documented with the authorities.
- Determine if the driver was in the middle of a pickup or on their way to a pickup. What the Uber driver was doing at the time of collision is very important. If the driver was in the middle of a pickup or on the way to a pickup, then the accident is at least partially covered by Uber. If the driver was not, then you would be dealing solely with the driver’s individual auto insurance.
- Make sure the Police have the driver’s personal insurance information. All Uber drivers must have valid insurance in order to work for Uber. Make sure you have their information before leaving the scene of the accident.
If you are a rider and your Uber driver gets into an accident while you are in the car, the steps are similar.
- First and foremost: Call 911.
- Take pictures of the accident; not just of the cars but anything else in the surrounding area that was involved.
- Make sure you have your driver’s real name and phone number.
- Get the names, phone numbers and email addresses of any witnesses.
- Take screenshots of your Uber ride, driver info, and receipts.
Why isn’t Uber liable?
Uber drivers are technically not employees. They are considered independent contractors and as such, Uber does not assume all responsibility for their actions or accidents caused by Uber drivers when they are not strictly on the clock. If the driver was not going anywhere specifically, even if they had the Uber app open on their phone, that doesn’t mean they can assume responsibility for the driver.
Regardless of who was at fault, if you were involved in a car accident, you deserve the best protection possible. The Florida car accident lawyers at Gonzalez & Cartwright have dedicated themselves to fighting for the rights of injured people throughout the Sunshine State.
If you or a loved one were involved in a car accident with an Uber driver or anyone else, contact us today. We will fight for you too.