What to Do After a Car Accident in South Florida
Car Accident Attorneys Advise Clients on What to Do After an Accident in Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Throughout South Florida
The time following a car accident can be hectic and overwhelming, but it is important to take certain steps after the accident to preserve your right to compensation. Both Florida law and the insurance companies will require certain documentation after your motor vehicle accident, and it is important to seek out medical attention even if you do not think you were injured.
At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., our South Florida car accident attorneys are here to help you maximize your right to compensation from the insurance company and from any negligent driver who caused the accident. We know that negotiating with the insurance company can be confusing. An experienced attorney can make all the difference in obtaining a full compensation award. In some cases, just a simple phone call from an attorney to the insurance company will be sufficient to increase your compensation award to a fair amount. We provide all of our clients with a free initial consultation, so contact our office to schedule an appointment to discuss your car accident case today. We will help you determine what to do after a car accident in South Florida.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident in West Palm Beach, FL?
After a car accident, and after seeking out any immediately necessary medical attention, it is important to take steps to document the accident in order to preserve your right to recover monetary compensation from the insurance companies and any negligent drivers. To ensure that you are fully protected after a car crash, our South Florida attorneys recommend that you:
- Call the police: After a car accident, it is important to report the accident to the local police, Florida Highway Patrol, or the sheriff. If the accident caused damages that exceed $500, this report will be necessary to get compensation later.
- Exchange information: If you were not seriously injured, obtain the names, addresses, and contact information of the other drivers involved in the accident. Take a photo of the other car’s license plate and insurance card.
- Take photos: You can use your smartphone to take photos of the accident scene if you were not severely injured in the accident.
- Seek medical attention: It is critical to ensure that all of your injuries are properly treated, both for the sake of your health and your future wellbeing. You should also do this because Florida insurance laws require that you seek medical treatment in order to make a claim under your personal injury protection (PIP) policy. Florida PIP law requires that you seek medical treatment within 14 days of the accident to receive PIP benefits. It is important to remember that injuries are not always immediately apparent, and they can manifest themselves later. Even if you do not think you are injured, it is therefore important to seek medical attention in order to preserve your right to compensation for your car accident injuries.
- Notify the insurance company: Under Florida’s no-fault law, you will initially file a claim with your own insurance company after an auto accident. This is the case even if the accident was not your fault.
- Contact an attorney: After a car accident, contact a car accident attorney to get advice regarding your rights and responsibilities.
It is also important to note that you are required to attempt to locate the owner of a motor vehicle that was unattended if you hit that vehicle.
Why Choose Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. to Protect Your Rights Following a Lake Worth Car Accident?
After a car accident, your insurance company will send you a settlement offer that reflects the amount of compensation that they think you should receive. In many cases, this settlement offer may be insufficient to cover your actual expenses. Our South Florida car accident attorneys have decades of experience negotiating with insurance companies to maximize the amount of compensation to which our clients are entitled after a car accident. Because of this, it is important to not immediately accept a compensation offer that does not seem fair, as our attorneys can often negotiate a much better compensation award.
Contact a Skilled Personal Injury Lawyer for Help After a Pompano Beach Car Accident
We understand that the time following a car accident can be hectic, frustrating, and stressful, especially if you sustained serious injuries in the accident. Our South Florida attorneys at Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. are here to provide trustworthy and compassionate guidance as you recover from your injuries and evaluate your options. If you would like to discuss your car accident case, contact our offices at 561-533-0345, or toll free at 888-888-3903, to schedule a free initial consultation today. We are located in downtown Lake Worth, across from city hall, and we are also available to visit you at your home or in the hospital.
FAQ: My insurance company offered a settlement. Should I take it?
In many cases, the insurance company will offer a settlement that is much lower than your eventual accident-related expenses. It can be difficult to initially determine the extent of your injuries, or the cost of treating those injuries. Contacting an experienced attorney to evaluate your insurance settlement can prove valuable in getting a higher compensation award. While this may be your first car accident, our attorneys have been involved in hundreds of these cases, so we are better equipped to estimate your potential costs associated with the accident.
FAQ: Do the passengers in my car have to seek medical attention after an accident if they do not appear to be injured?
Yes, they probably should get medical attention. PIP coverage may also apply and provide compensation for the medical expenses of certain passengers injured in an accident. However, those passengers must seek medical attention within 14 days in order for PIP coverage to apply.