South Florida Medication Error Lawyers
Bilingual Attorneys Aggressively Pursue Compensation Rights for Clients Injured By Medication Errors in Palm Beach County, Broward County and Across South Florida
Many of us rely upon prescription medications both to maintain our health over time, and to help us recover from various injuries and illnesses. In most cases, even when we read the list of ingredients contained in a pill or medication, we have very little idea what those ingredients are or what they do—so we rely upon the advice of our doctors to keep us safe.
Both doctors and pharmacists owe a legal duty of care to patients who rely upon their education, experience, and expertise in providing them with these vital medications, and you should—and usually must—be able to rely upon their knowledge and judgment when you use a prescription drug without fear of harm. Despite this, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other medical professionals often make medication errors that cause significant negative consequences, and even death in extreme cases.
At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., we are passionate about keeping our fellow South Florida residents safe from medication errors committed by negligent doctors and pharmacists. We will work with highly qualified medical experts and conduct a full investigation of your case to establish the evidence necessary to hold a negligent medical professional whose medication error caused you harm accountable for those actions. Call us today to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our bilingual medical malpractice lawyers to tell us what happened in your case.
Common Medication Errors Committed by South Florida Doctors and Pharmacists
While some medication errors have minimal long-term consequences, others can cause patients to suffer much more extensive illnesses and can even be fatal. Medication errors can occur when a doctor or pharmacist:
- Prescribes or administers the wrong medication,
- Fails to take an appropriate patient medical history that would reveal patient allergies,
- Fails to recognize adverse interactions between two medications prescribed to the patient,
- Mislabels or provides the wrong medication to a patient,
- Fails to monitor the patient while the patient is taking a medication to prevent adverse reactions or side effects,
- Prescribes or administers the wrong dosage of the correct medication,
- Fails to warn the patient of potential side effects caused by a medication,
- Refills a medication without proper authorization from the doctor.
Why Choose Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. to Protect Your Rights if You Have Suffered Harm Because of a Medication Error?
At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., we are dedicated to protecting the Hispanic community of South Florida who have suffered harm because a doctor or pharmacist was negligence in providing you with a prescription drug or other medication. We work tirelessly to uncover the root cause of your harm when you suffer because of a medication error, which can result because of:
- A doctor’s use of unfamiliar abbreviations or illegible handwriting, which causes an error when the pharmacist fills the prescription, especially considering that many prescription drug names sound very similar,
- Poor training, especially because knowledge about the effects of certain medications continues to evolve, which requires ongoing training for doctors and pharmacists who administer these medications,
- Poor communication, which can cause information about a patient’s medical history, allergies and drug interactions to be lost.
While you can never fully be made whole when a medication error has caused damage to your health, we will fight to make sure you receive full and fair compensation so that the negligent medical professional who caused your harm is held responsible. Available compensation in a medication error case may include:
- Expenses for treating additional complications caused by the medication error,
- Medical expenses relating to the worsening of an underlying condition when a medication error resulted in failure to treat your initial illness,
- Pain and suffering, including emotional trauma,
- Compensation for lost wages and lost earning capacity,
- Loss of enjoyment of life,
- Loss of consortium or support, as well as funeral expenses, if the medication error was fatal.
Call Today to Schedule a Free Initial Consultation
Prescription drugs can have side effects, and that fact is unavoidable even if doctors exercise extreme caution and execute their jobs perfectly. Despite this, when a doctor fails in his or her duties, the results can be catastrophic to you, as a patient. If you have suffered harm because of a medication error in Palm Beach County or elsewhere in South Florida, call us today or fill out this online contact form to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss options for recovering compensation in your case.
Legal Services in Areas Nearby
Frequently Asked Questions About Claims Involving Medication Errors in South Florida
The most important thing that you can do to prevent a medication error from occurring entirely is to be your own advocate with your doctor. This means keeping track of all medications that you are taking, as well as the prescribed dosage, and being proactive about providing the doctor with this information. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your doctor—for example, when the doctor recommends a drug, you can ask about common and rare side effects and the potential impact of any other drugs you are taking. Ask how you should react if any side effects from the medication do occur, and when you should stop taking the medication entirely.
Our skilled medication error lawyers have the experience necessary to successfully negotiate a favorable compensation award with the insurance companies in most cases. Because of this, we will only resort to a formal trial in extreme cases. Most insurance companies, hospitals, and doctors are motivated to settle cases outside the courtroom, and our reputation for successfully pursuing claims for medication errors caused by doctor negligence in South Florida often allows us to obtain full compensation without going before a judge and jury.