What to Do After a Car Accident
If you're in a car accident, it's natural to feel agitated, upset, confused and even angry. At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. in South Florida, we have come up with a list of suggested steps to take after a car accident to help get you through the first part of this difficult ordeal. You can print out this page and keep a copy in your glove box.
Please remember to call Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., before making any statement to an insurance company or agreeing to any settlement with an insurance company representative. Se habla Español.
At the accident location:
- Pull over
- Determine if anyone is injured
- Call 911
- If you cannot call 911 due to an injury, ask someone else to call for emergency medical help.
- Obtain information from all drivers involved in the accident (including full names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and drivers' license numbers).
- If a commercial truck or other type of commercial vehicle was involved, write down the registration numbers on the trailer and cab. Determine who owns the vehicle.
- Look for any witnesses and obtain their contact information. Make sure to get their full name, address and phone number so you or accident investigators can get in touch with them.
- Use your camera (if you have one) to take photos of the accident location, weather and road conditions and the extent of the damage. If you do not have a camera or a cellphone equipped with one, ask someone else to take photos of your accident and send them to you. Photos can be valuable pieces of evidence in a car accident investigation.
- Don't discuss the accident with the other drivers or witnesses, and don't accept any responsibility.
After the accident:
- See a doctor immediately if you experience any type of pain or believe you're injured.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident. Give them the contact information for other drivers. Remember not to give any statement to your insurance company before talking to a lawyer.
- Obtain a copy of the accident report. Make sure all the details included in your official accident report are accurate and reflect exactly what happened in your crash. If you disagree with any information included in your accident report, our attorneys can work with you to try to set the record straight.
- If you're injured, continue to keep appointments with your doctor and keep him or her informed about your pain and other effects of the injury.
- If the other driver's insurance company contacts you after your accident, do not answer their questions. Anything you say could be used to reduce or deny your accident claim. Refer all questions from the insurance to our law firm. We have years of experience dealing directly with insurance companies after serious auto accidents.
Contact a car accident lawyer
At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., we're ready to provide guidance after a car accident in Lake Worth, West Palm Beach or elsewhere in South Florida. Contact us today. Remember, your initial consultation is free. You don't pay us any fees unless you win.
Don't let a car accident ruin your life. Take back control. Call Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., today for your free, personal injury consultation. (800) 608-2965.