Common Causes of Car Accidents in South Florida
Experienced Car Accident Attorneys Assist with the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Palm Beach County, Broward County and Across South Florida
The initial issue in almost all South Florida personal injury cases that involve car accidents is to determine what actually caused the accident. This is necessary for figuring out who is responsible for the accident. In some cases, this will also be the same person who is financially responsible for compensating any victims in the accident.
Most car accidents in South Florida will be the result of one or more of the following three causes. First, there is driver error. This is by far the most common cause of car accidents in Florida, as well as the rest of the United States.
The second major cause is a mechanical failure of the vehicle. Sometimes cars or trucks are poorly maintained or they do not operate as intended by their manufacturers.
Finally, there are bad roadway conditions, such as poorly maintained roads. No matter the condition of the vehicle or how careful the driver is, an accident may be unavoidable if the road is in bad enough shape.
Regardless of what or who causes your accident, it is up to you to focus on recovering emotionally and physically from your injuries. At Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A., we pride ourselves on providing comprehensive and effective legal representation to our clients.
No-Fault Insurance in Broward County and Palm Beach County
Sometimes, figuring out the cause of the accident won’t affect the amount of monetary compensation you can get. This is because Florida is a no-fault state.
As a no-fault state, Florida drivers must first look to their own insurance companies for compensation for their injuries and other forms of economic loss. Only in certain situations may the injured driver sue the negligent parties directly. Specifically, the driver must first obtain recovery from their personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.
PIP coverage will pay for medical and other economic losses from the car accident, regardless of fault. This coverage will apply to the driver, but may also apply to others in the driver’s household.
Generally speaking, PIP will pay 80% of your medical costs for injuries sustained in the car accident. PIP will also pay 60% of lost wages. There are also some death benefits if an insured is killed in the accident. All PIP benefits are subject to policy limits.
Only when the injuries are “serious” can you sue the at-fault driver or other responsible party. This is helpful if you’re trying to recover non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. An injury will is “serious” if it results in any of the following:
- A broken or fractured bone.
- Substantial disfigurement.
- Full disability for several months.
- A permanent loss in an organ or body member.
- A significant limitation in a bodily function or system.
If you want to move outside the PIP car insurance coverage umbrella and file a personal injury lawsuit, you’ll first need to figure out whom to sue. This begins by determining the cause of your car accident.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in South Florida
As mentioned earlier, car accidents are usually caused, at least in part, by negligent driving. However, aggressive and reckless driving can sometimes play a role, too. Common causes of car accidents on Florida roads and highways can include:
- Drunk or impaired driving. It’s obvious that drivers should not operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It’s also illegal. Yet drunk and impaired drivers continue to cause car accidents across Florida and the nation.
- Driver aggression. We are located in the vicinity of Miami. This means that many residents of our community regularly commute to the city for work each day. This can lead to rushed, aggressive driving as people attempt to minimize their commute times.
- Speeding. Speeding is a form of negligence (and sometimes recklessness) because it impairs the amount of time that a driver has to react to conditions on the road. The result is that accidents become more likely. And when they do happen, they can create more serious injuries.
- Hazardous weather conditions. We are all familiar with rainy afternoons in South Florida. Then there are the storms that become so strong as to impair even the most cautious driver’s ability to see the road. Regardless, many drivers fail to slow down, use their headlights or pull over to the side of the road to wait out a rainstorm.
- Poor road conditions. Roads seem permanent and robust, but they require constant maintenance and upkeep. Without sufficient care, it can lead to missing traffic signs, malfunctioning traffic lights, potholes and crumbling road shoulders. When Florida roads experience neglect, it can result in car accidents.
- Driver distraction. One of the biggest sources of driver distraction is texting. It is now illegal to text and drive in Florida. But driver distractions can also come from other sources, such as changing the radio station, inputting an address into a GPS unit or eating.
- Defective products. In some cases, a car accident may not be the fault of a driver. Rather, it can be caused by defective tires or other problems with other parts of the vehicle. In these cases, the manufacturer may be held liable for injuries and property damage in an accident.
- Driver fatigue. Driver fatigue is especially prevalent among commercial drivers who are pressured to meet strict delivery deadlines. But it can also impact individuals with long commutes to and from work each day. All it takes is nodding off for a split second to cause a tragic accident.
Get Help with a Proven Florida Car Accident Attorney
If you’ve been in a car accident, regardless of what caused it, consider setting up a consultation to discuss your case. You can do this by contacting one of our offices, either in Pompano Beach or Lake Worth. There’s no cost for this consultation are and we speak both English and Spanish to better meet your communication needs.
Since Gonzalez & Cartwright, P.A. opened the doors to injured clients, we have collected more than $30 million in just personal injury damages. While many personal injury firms treat their clients like case numbers, our clients are more than just a file number.
We provide personal attention and genuine, compassionate support to each and every one of our clients. By choosing our Boynton Beach attorneys, you can rest assured that we will be relentless in our fight to protect your rights and secure fair compensation for your injuries.